Product Updates - August 28, 2021

What’s new?

1. Current Date & Time token in automations
When updating Date and Date & Time values in automations you can now make use of the new Current Date and Current Date & Time tokens to define a relative value, as shown in the animation below. This makes it easy to change dates and times based on when another update or creation action occurs.

CurrentDateAndTimeToken

2. 1-way and 2-way relationships
Spreadsheet.com now allows you to specify whether relationships are 1-way or 2-way. Before this update, by default all relationships were 2-way, meaning that whenever a Related row column is created, a corresponding Related row column was automatically created in the target worksheet. Now, you can optionally specify that a Related row column is 1-way, so a column in the target worksheet does not get created. This is useful if you do not want the relationship reflected in, or modified by, the target worksheet. (This is also a prerequisite for Duplicate worksheet functionality, which is coming soon.)

Important notes about this feature:

• Self-referential relationships (i.e. relationships where the source and target worksheet are the same), can only be 1-way.
  • It is not currently possible to convert a 1-way relationship to 2-way, and vice versa. The easiest way to work around this limitation is to convert the column’s data type to Text or Automatic, and then convert it back to Related row, then select either 1-way or 2-way before saving the change. Spreadsheet.com will automatically establish relationships between matching rows, as described here.
  • The 2-way option is only available for column-level data types, not range or cell-level, where related row cells can only be 1-way.

3. Filter and Sort related row selectors by View
When selecting a related row value, you can now control which rows are displayed as options to link to with the new Filter and sort selection by View option, as shown below. This allows you to limit the set of rows users can select when choosing rows to link to. For example, in a Tasks worksheet, you may allow users to link Tasks to Issues, but only to Issues that have a Certain or High probability value. To do this, you can create a new View in the target Issues worksheet filtered by Status, and then assign that View in the Related row column’s data type settings in the Tasks worksheet, as shown below.

4. Support for multicolumn Insert
As with traditional spreadsheets you can now insert multiple columns at once by selecting more than one column, right clicking, and choosing one of the Insert X columns right or left menu options, as shown below.

Alternatively you can do this from the workbook’s Insert menu:

Fixes and enhancements

• Fixed an issue whereby licensed users in a workspace may not able to create a workbook in the root of that workspace.
  • Fixed an issue whereby text in row details dialog fields was not wrapping based on words (i.e. it was previously wrapping in the middle of words).
  • Fixed reported issue 004011 where the “Allow users to copy this workbook” was incorrectly selected in the Public sharing and embedding dialog.
  • Fixed an issue whereby spaces in Select or Multiselect options may cause rendering issues in corresponding cells.
  • Fixed issue whereby text was rendered with unexpected artifacts in Select, Multiselect, and User cells.
  • Added support for additional Date formats, as requested here, consisting of:
    Tue, 7/5/2011
    Tue, 07/05/2011
    Tue, 2011-07-05
5 Likes

These are some great updates, especially #2 (1-way/2-way relationships). I think that most of the time I use related rows, I prefer the 1-way relationship. Sometimes it can be nice to know how many times I’ve used a budget category or a particular inventory item, but most of my use cases are 1-way lookups … and it makes a lot of sense that this is needed before the Duplicate worksheet functionality.

A Select data type that can get its values from a range of cells in another worksheet may be preferable in some cases for basic dynamic drop-downs, but the new 1-way Related Row looks like a good solution for now.

1 Like

A Select data type that can get its values from a range of cells in another worksheet may be preferable in some cases for basic dynamic drop-downs

This is coming soon: specifically you will be able to choose whether options for Select or Multiselect data types are either manually defined (as is today) or a specified range of cells from any worksheet in the workbook (as is in traditional spreadsheets).

Stay tuned for this one. Once released, spreadsheets imported into Spreadsheet.com with this kind of data validation defined will automatically be recognized as Selects.

4 Likes