Make a Copy and Related Rows

How does “Make a Copy” of a workbook impact the Related Rows in the original, if at all, when I’m working in the copy?

I’m setting up/testing some new features using the copy of the original/primary. The primary workbook ‘relates’ to 2 source workbooks. The original is still being used and I don’t want my “noodling” in the copy to impact the either the primary or source workbooks.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for reaching out and I’d be happy to help with this.

When you make a copy that is pointing at a “Source Workbook” you would only impact the “Source” if you edit the Related Rows by clicking into the Related Row itself. I’ve included a short Loom video below where I walk through this in more detail to help clarify this a bit.

Loom Video: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom

Please let me know if you have further questions and thank you again for reaching out Michael!

Best,
Thomas Van Steyn
Customer Success Manager

1 Like

Thomas,

Thank you very much for the note and video.

If I have a somewhat related question, but dealing more with workbook/sheet relational structure, should I ask that here or contact you directly?

Michael

Hi Michael,

Not a problem and happy to help!

Feel free to ask that question here if you are comfortable with that. I’ve also just sent you an email with some additional help documentation around Related Rows. So you can also respond there with your question if you’d like.

Best,
Thomas

1 Like

Hi Thomas,

So here goes … I’m working on a tracking spreadsheet(s) for a non-profit consultant. There is a Client spreadsheet (contact info. for 20 Clients), a Funder spreadsheet (info. for roughly 50 Funders).

As a test, we were able to set up what we call a Grant Priority spreadsheet (our “top level” spreadsheet with due dates, amounts, etc.) for the month of September that “Related Rows” to the Client and Funder spreadsheets.

Now we would like to incorporate the following: Each Client (20) also has a separate Client Tracking spreadsheet (roughly 20 Grant submissions per year). We’ve also formatted each of the Client Tracking spreadsheets to mirror our Grant Priority spreadsheet hoping that we will be able to keep the info. on both of these in sync (mostly Dates, Notes, Amounts, etc.)

At this point I’m just not able to wrap my head around how to cleanly structure/link the Client, Client Tracking and Funder spreadsheets to the Grant Priority spreadsheet so that they all talk to each other and stay in sync.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thank you for sharing this and appreciate the context that you’ve provided here. While attempting to replicate this on my end I’m having some trouble putting this together and it would be helpful if we could connect on a short call so I can understand this layout a bit more.

I’ve just sent you a message with a link to my calendar and would be happy to go over this in more detail on that call. Look forward to helping with this Michael!

Best,
Thomas

1 Like