Concatenate Help (Combine text from multiple columns)

Iā€™ve imported an Excel spreadsheet that my boss uses to track issues where each Row is one issue. For each month he adds a new column each for Comments, Actions & Assigned To). I can use the concatenate formula to combine all of the ā€˜Commentā€™ columns into one new column, but I also need to be able to edit each specific cell in that row to add more text to it laterā€¦and stop the madness of creating a new column for each months comments. How can i accomplish this?

Hi Steve,

Thank you for sharing this example and Iā€™m happy to try to help! Iā€™ve been trying to replicate this process on my end and Iā€™m having a little bit of a hard time figuring out what you are wanting to happen here. Would you mind sharing a screenshot (Of mock data) so I can get a better idea of what you have on your end?

Best,
Thomas Van Steyn

Hi Steve,

Just wanted to share an update here Iā€™ve put together with how Iā€™m thinking about this problem. Iā€™m using two worksheets and the Comments would be a date field from a separate worksheet. This way I can have multiple comments for any given task without. Iā€™m not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but happy to look into this more if you have other requirements Iā€™m missing here.

Good morning Thomas. Thank you for the help and the examples. I personally like your idea of using the new comments column as a date field and simply adding the date of the previous comments like that. I may have to try that. Iā€™ve been trying to figure this out and I think I need to think about it differently. My goal was to take text from several columns and put it into one consolidated column (see my example below) and then simply hide or possibly delete the original columns to help get this spreadsheet more organized and easier for more users. My problem is that some of the other users are so stuck in their old ways and still want to be able to scroll back and forth through months and months of data, instead of simply opening one Row of Data and seeing all of the data there. Iā€™ll eventually get them to see the power in this software, LOL.

Maybe I need to figure out a way to put all of the comments from the various months meetings into the ā€˜Commentsā€™ section so it could all be seen easier.

Maybe I just need to put in the work and reformat it like this (see image below) and use indenting for the comments.

1 Like

Hi Steve - May be you are already aware - Every Cell and Every Row has a ā€˜Comments Channelā€™ - Just like in FB or Whatsapp. The channel records the commentor, date etc. You can also specifically reply to a comment in a Channel. Also @mention users while doing that.
That is a product facility that you can leverage perhaps.

1 Like

Yes, thank you. I will use that for future comments. My issue is trying to get old data into one location instead of having to scroll across multiple comment columns to find historical info.

Would be happy to connect on a follow-up call in the coming weeks to go over this in more detail when you have the time. Iā€™ll send you an email this week with some availability we have on our end.

Looking forward to connecting with you soon!

Best,
Thomas Van Steyn

1 Like