Column to Set the Task Dependency Type for Gantt Views

This will probably be a common request, but I’d like to suggest that in the Gantt Views you add a special column type for defining the task dependency. This would be for when you have the Predecessor function enabled. The four standard dependency types are

• Finish-to-Start, FS (Task B cannot start until after Task A finishes) Task B start date is automatically set to one work day after Task A. The duration defines the End date.
  • Start-to-Start, SS (Task B cannot start until Task A starts) Task B start date is automatically set to Task A start date. The duration defines the End date.
  • Finish-to-Finish, FF (Task B cannot finish until Task A finishes) Task B finish date is automatically set to Task A finish date. The duration defines the Start date.
  • Start-to-Finish, SF (Task B cannot finish until Task A starts) Task B finish date is automatically set to one work day prior to Task A start date. The duration defines the Start date.

The SF dependency may seem like it is rarely used, but it is actually very useful for creating schedules that are defined in reverse from a needed completion date.

If it was possible to use formulas within the project management columns, then the possibilities for dependencies is even more flexible (such as defining Task B to start 3 days after Task A starts).

Depenency type support is in the roadmap. We’ll get to it at some point. However we are not thinking of allowing end users to toggle it from within the sheet. It will probably be a Project Management setting for the Sheet.

Are you aware of any software product that allows this?

Please disregard my previous answer. :point_up: After some googling - I have realised that this seems to be a widely available facility in Gantt software.

At the moment, we only support FS. When we get to dep types, something like what you suggested could be the preferred mechanism of setting task level dependency type and lag/lead time management.
Thanks for the feedback.

2 Likes