Protect/lock cells

Hello,

Would it be possible to have the ability to lock/protect cells so users cannot enter data in a cell with a formula and destroy it?

Thanks,
Carol

You can edit data type and mark it as ‘Strict’.

@santosh I think what Carol is asking about is the ability to prevent certain users from changing column/range/cell values – so if she writes a formula, other users cannot modify it. Marking a data type as Strict will prevent the ability to enter a formula.

@Carol_Merriman Today we don’t have the ability to lock columns/ranges/cells for certain users. The closes thing is permission level – users with the “Viewer” permission on a workbook cannot edit anything (they have read-only access).

We do have plans to add column/range/cell-level permissions (i.e. control who can read/write down to the individual cell level) but we don’t have a timeline on this yet. Hope this helps.

Santosh’s suggestion would help with data validation (i.e. making sure users can only enter data that matches the assigned data type)

2 Likes

Thanks for the response.
Yes, I want to protect certain columns from users who enter data from destroying the formulas.
This would be a great feature so a spreadsheet could be distributed to more people.
Carol

If you want to define an entire column as read-only formula cells, would request you to consider leveraging Column Formulas as a possible alternative.

Column formulas:

• Defined at column level and not individual cell level. Caters to use-cases around applying similar formula on fields in each row. Examples:
    • Concatenating First Name, Last Name fields on each row =CONCATENATE( A, B)
    • Finding ratio of a field with respect to entire column: =DIV( C, C1:C100)
  • Read-only by default i.e. formula cannot be altered at individual cell level.
1 Like

+1 for this feature.

or a way to sync data views to another Worksheet :innocent: