Why would you use a "Hidden" field on a form

Why would you choose to add a field to a form and then make that same field hidden? What is an example use case? I don’t see a tooltip when I hover over the option nor do I see an example in the documentation so I am hoping this is a good question for the forum.

If I want a blank column in the resultant spreadsheet for notes about the submissions, I would just create a field and not add it to the form.

Imagine you are collecting leads from multiple channels and want to track the channel source for each lead. Typically you would have the forms embedded as iframes.

You would make the channel field hidden and assign it a hidden value ( eg: corp_website, affiliate_a… etc ). Today with SSDC forms, you would make multiple identical forms and deploy them on each channel front-end, with differing default values.

We plan to follow up with an enhancement where the form-field value can be specified (appended) in the form’s URL via url params. ( https://form-url/path?channel_value=XXX). So once we have that, you can deploy the same form in multiple locations by just varying the URL params.

2 Likes

A hidden form field is useful any time you have a default value that the person submitting doesn’t need to see. For example, you might have a “Status” field in an issue tracker that by default is “Submitted” when the person submits their issue via the form but then internally you can modify it to “Scheduled” or “Completed” as you review and resolve the issue.

1 Like

Could this field also be hidden based on user entry. Say this field is hidden unless the user chooses to provide feedback then show the field. This is only one use case but is this a possibility to hide or show the field based on responses?

@Chris_Lefebvre , welcome to the community!

Yes indeed - Conditionally visible Form fields are in our roadmap. Will update this thread when we have progress to share. Thanks!

1 Like