Show the "Working" Notice when Recalculating (> 1 second)

I have a spreadsheet (Amortization Schedule) that uses many formulas and currently itā€™s difficult to know whether SSDC is still trying to recalculate the worksheet after I make a change, or whether it is done with the recalculation.

I would recommend showing the following notice when the recalculation is taking longer than 1 second. Currently, itā€™s taking up to about 3-4 seconds to recalculate when I change the inputs. Thatā€™s not a terrible amount of time to wait, but I think it needs a progress bar of some sort.

Iā€™m not sure what the ideal delay would be, but I think you want the ā€œWorkingā€ notice to pop up before you start to wonder why nothing is changing. You could start with 1 second and see if that is too long or too short.

So 2 things.

1. Amortisation Schedule perhaps has a lot of Cross sheet references. (Iā€™m recounting from my experience with Workbooks of similar nature found in the internet - including probably your own template) Currently Cross-Sheet ref calculation is slower in the clientside. This is something we will work on soon.

2. Yes. ā€˜Recalculating formulasā€¦ā€™ progress indicator is being planned.

No cross-sheet references in this one. Iā€™ve shared an example that you can try.

Yes I saw the lag. I also downloaded the file from v42 and checked it out in Excel - there is no appreciable lag in Excel.

It may interest you to know that in 2008, Google Sheets was not able to handle this amortization schedule at all. It couldnā€™t handle the 300+ rows and multiple columns of sequential calculations. I had to create a simplified version with a schedule that was only annual. So, SSDC is doing pretty well, 3-4 seconds isnā€™t too bad, and it will help to have the progress indicator.

(GS can handle it now just fine, but it took quite a few years before it was able to).

1 Like