Product Updates - December 4, 2021 - Named Ranges

What’s new?

1. Named Ranges

We’re happy to share that support for named ranges has been released in today’s update. With named ranges, you can assign a name to a contiguous range of cells for easy reference in formulas.

DefineNamedRange

To use a named range in a formula, input the name of the named range (without quotation marks) where a cell or range would otherwise be used in the formula. As you write your formula, Spreadsheet.com will autosuggest named ranges, indicated by the teal NR symbol next to the named range, as shown below.

For example, let’s say that you’ve created a named range called “Q4_Earnings” including cells E6 through E10 and you want to generate a sum of these values in another cell. Normally, your function would be written as:

=SUM(E6:E10)

With your named range, you can instead write the formula as:

=SUM(Q4_Earnings)

You can reference the same named range in any subsequent formulas you define as well, giving you a quick point of reference that doesn’t require you to remember or re-reference the original range.

For more details, see the new Named Ranges article in our Help Center.

2. Integrate Spreadsheet.com with over 4000 apps using Zapier (beta)

Zapier integration is now fully available and in public beta. We’ve highlighted 16 of the most popular apps we’ve heard from users about in the updated Integrations page on our website, including Google Sheets, Salesforce, Jira, and Quickbooks.

To get started now with Zapier integration, create an API Key for yourself in the Personal settings dialog of your Spreadsheet.com account and then head over to Zapier to define some zaps.

For more details and step by step instructions, see the new Zapier Integration section of our help center.

3 Likes

I’ve updated the Loan Amortization Calculator template to use named ranges and it appears to be working very well.

I also like that you can quickly navigate to a named range using the down arrow in the name box (see the screenshot for an example). This makes it possible to create bookmark-style named ranges for quickly navigating a large workbook.

My only comment for now would be that the default named range appears to be relative (A8) rather than absolute ($A$8) yet they still function as absolute references. Relative named ranges can be useful for avoiding the use of the OFFSET function (which is volatile) when creating a running balance for example, so if relative named ranges are a possibility for a future update, I’d recommend forcing all named ranges to use the absolute reference syntax.

3 Likes