Is there an API for spreadsheet.com spreadsheets?

I’m especially interested in being able to automate the reading, manipulation/updating, and writing of Gannt spreadsheets.

Welcome to the community Martin.

We have a REST API in the near term roadmap that will let you manipulate data in your workbooks. Checkout this

More information on your scenario and a typical use case that you would want to automate will help us design the API better. Let us know.

4 Likes

Thanks for the quick response Santosh!
The Epic for what I’m building enables project/program managers to be able to do “what-if” planning on a portfolio of projects. For example, if I have 10 projects in my portfolio, and I want to add a new high-priority project, what is the impact of the new project on my portfolio? What is the impact if the new project is a low- or medium-priority project? Etc. The goal is to enable an organization to understand their capacity for project work, and to reduce/prevent project ‘thrashing’ (Thrashing (computer science) - Wikipedia).
This requires me (IMHO) to be able to:

• Read/write the current project information (tasks, resources, etc.)
  • Possibly extend the fields associated with a schedule (we will probably require tasks, resources, etc. to have additional fields).
    Please let me know if you have additional questions.
    Thanks
    Martin
1 Like

I’m sure your use case can be handled, from what I understand. But I’ll let @matt confirm too.

Thanks Santosh. Also, why must a post have at least 20 characters? (I just added this last part to get to 20 characters)

:blush: We are still tinkering with discourse settings (it has a ton of them). We will reconsider a post’s character limit. :+1:

Dear @Santosh , with the increasing connected spreadsheets (like rows.com / actiondesk.io / airtable with datafetcher.io), I believe spreadsheet.com can conquer them all with easy to use API combined with recently released Automation.

Look forward to your API update!

2 Likes

Welcome @Martin_Radley Based on your bulleted list I think we will be in good shape to handle your use case either in the initial beta release of the API or shortly after. If you are interested in being an early user of our API once its ready we’d love to have you as a beta user and would value your feedback.

Thanks @hendrik, if you’d like to be a beta user of the API once it’s available we’ll make sure to connect with you then. Looking forward to your feedback

Thanks Matt. I’d love to be a beta tester. Please let me know next steps. Thanks

1 Like

Great! We’ll reach out to you about this as soon as we kick off beta access to the API

Thanks Matt.xxxxxxxxx

Is there a way to load a spreadsheet as a JSON file yet?

1 Like

Welcome @Max_Ziebell! We agree that this is a critical capability and it’s in high demand from early users. We’re currently working on v1 of our API now and will update this thread as we have a more definitive answer regarding when it will be available. Thanks for your interest.

@matt , make sure to invite me as well. Cheers.

Have a nice weekend!

1 Like

Will do @hendrik :+1:

Hi Santosh,

Any update on when a REST API will be available?

Thanks

Martin

1 Like

@Martin_Radley - REST API remains high priority in our short-medium term roadmap. I’m hopeful of a Q1-Q2 2022 rollout.

3 Likes

Hi,

Speaking of API, are you planning on also enabeling custom UI/controls/workflows, more like a low coade platform ?

Welcome @etienne_mermillod. Low-code capabilities are in our medium and long term plans, such as ability to write custom scripts that get invoked as automation actions. Allowing development of custom widgets is something we plan to consider, in addition to providing ways to build custom interfaces backed by Spreadsheet.com workbooks. No ETA to share yet on any of this.