Durations Not Working Like I Would Expect

Example: Column A is a DateTime data type. Column B is a Duration data type displayed as #d #h #m (but without Strict checked). Column C is a formula that adds A and B.

When I enter a duration of …
β€œ1h”, column D displays β€œ1h” and column C adds 1 day
β€œ30m”, column D displays β€œ30m” and column C adds 30 days
β€œ1d 30m”, column D displays β€œ1d 30m” and column C adds 1 day
β€œ1h 30m”, column D displays β€œ1h 30m” and column C adds 1 day
β€œ5d3h30m4s”, column D displays β€œ5d3h30m4s” and column C adds 5 days
β€œ1h 0m”, column D displays β€œ1h 0m” and column C adds 1 day
β€œ1h 00m”, column D displays β€œ1h 00m” and column C adds 1 day
β€œ1:00:00”, column D displays β€œ1h 00m” and adds 1 hour (a correct value)
β€œ0:30:00”, column D displays β€œ30m” and column C adds 30 minutes (a correct value)
β€œ1:30:00”, column D displays β€œ1h 30m” and column C adds 1 hour and 30 minutes (a correct value)

It looks like when the value is not a valid duration, SS is extracting the first number and assuming it is days.

After changing the Data Type to Strict, I see that you aren’t allowed to enter the value with the format β€œ#d #h #m #s” even though that is a LOT easier than entering dd:hh:mm:ss.

With STRICT turned on, the only way to enter 5 days is by entering β€œ5”, but you can’t enter 5 days and 5 hours because you can’t enter a duration in the format dd:hh:mm:ss.

My recommendation would be to allow entry of a duration as β€œ#d#h#m#s” with any number of spaces. In other words β€œ60 m” and β€œ60m” and β€œ1 h” and β€œ1h0 m” and β€œ3600s” would all correctly convert to 1 hour.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will review this internally and revert.

Tracking this as Issue #001550.