Automation disabled due to runaway loop

Hi Team,
I was trying to move the duplicate event codes from multiple sheets to archival table ‘EventArc’ through automations.

The event code automatically disabled with a comment ‘The automation is disabled because it caused a runway loop’

I have a column to check Duplicate row, if it is True, then I am moving the the row to archival sheet.

Request your assistance on this please.

1 Like

Hi @Chandrasekhar_Dommar - You will see this error ( and disablement ) when automation-rule-1’s actions causes automation-rule-2 to trigger and then automation-rule-2’s actions causes automation-rule-1 to trigger and thus form a runaway loop.

Below is a screenshot from my internal testing ( way back in 2021) - I had a 3 rule runaway loop. You can see the sequence of runaway loop in the screenshot below.

If you switch to the Automation Activity tab and choose All worksheets - you will most likely see the cascading sequence of automation runs. From there you should be able to infer what is causing the runaway loop. In your case, the erring automations are most likely spread across 2 or 3 worksheets in the same Workbook.

If this does not help you figure it out, please get back to us.

1 Like

thanks Murali, above details helped.