Aesthetics when hiding a column with a header region

I’ve noticed that if I hide a column in a view with a header region, and part of that hidden column was in a merged cell, when I scroll it looks like this:

I hid Column B, but column B in the header region is a merged cell that spans all the way to Column G

1 Like

Thanks Benjamin, this looks like a bug. Curious if you recall the steps you took to get into this state?

We actually built logic to prevent the creation of merge cells that overlap frozen areas, and also to prevent freezing columns and rows when such merge cells exist. For example:

When attempting to freeze a column that includes a merged cell:

…and when attempting to merge cells across frozen columns:

Looks like B:G in Benjamin’s example isn’t crossing the freeze line.

Here is another related example (and it does this regardless of the freeze state):

When hiding column B, the “Merged Cells” text should still appear (if the goal is to have the same behavior as Excel and GS):

When double-clicking on the merged cell:

In general you want the text in a merged cell to remain visible when columns are hidden, such as when you use a label for a group of columns, or you are using a label for an item in the header and you don’t want it to disappear if one of the optionally visible columns is hidden.

This works fine when the cell being hidden isn’t the left cell in the merged range (column C was hidden):

Labels disappear in this case (column B is hidden):

If the optional “Hide if Not Needed” column was switched with the Clock Out column, then you’d have a case where this is a problem (if you hide column B, the labels disappear):

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification on this @Vertex42, and you are right on both counts: it is an easily reproducible issue and I misinterpreted @benjamin_gunter’s screenshot.

We’ve confirmed the reported behavior and tracking this as issue #004545.

1 Like